After about 6 hours of no progress (meaning I'm still only dilated 1 1/2 cm) they hooked me up to the pitocin and that's when the real pain started punching me in the face and every where else too. I couldn't have an epidural until I was dilated to a 4. Now, at that time I was all for going natural for as long as possible. But after about an hour and a half of waves intense pain every 60 seconds I decided to ditch my ridiculous plan and go with an epidural ASAP. So about 7 hours later, after being relentlessly beaten by my uterus I was dilated to a 3 1/2 and they decided to give me an epidural.
Epidurals = Gift from heaven. 'Nuff said.
The doctor became concerned at how slowly I was progressing. I had been in labor for 19 hours and was only dilated to a 3 1/2. He came into the room and told me that I would probably have to have a C-section. He was suspected that:
A) Either the baby was too big to descend into the birth canal and dilate me properly or
B) she was caught up the the umbilical cord and that was preventing her from dropping.
However, the baby wasn't showing any signs of distress at that time so he continued to monitor me and see what happened.
After that I got kind of discouraged because I had already labored for so long and I didn't want to have a C-section after all that. But I decided that if it was best for the baby I would be okay with it.
So Ryan and I said a prayer asking that everything would work out and then we waited...
BUT not for long! after about an hour of having the epidural I was dilated to a 5 and about 45 minutes after that I dilated to a 10! Woo hoo! I couldn't have been happier. Things were finally working out!
I started pushing and about 2 or 3 hours later the baby started showing signs of distress. So the doctor whipped out his forceps and got things moving, and before we knew it we had a beautiful baby girl in our arms. She cried a little at first and then just looked around, her big eyes as wide as they could be. I couldn't believe how perfect she looked to me. I was expecting a gross slimy alien looking thing with a cone head, but she looked like a perfect little baby who just happened to belong to Ryan and I. I was soooo happy.
She weighed 8 lbs, 12 oz. The reason it took so long to progress was because
A) She WAS a little too big for my pelvis and
B) she was all wrapped up in the umbilical cord.
Nonetheless, against all odds, she came the way I preferred. The nurses calculated it all out and I was in labor for 28 hours. I would do it again and again in a second for the little gift from heaven we were given. She has been a wonderful addition to our family; we have been so blessed. We love her so much.
| She made it <3 |
| Right after they put the goop in her eyes. "What'd ya go and do that for?" |
| So small :) |
| My pretty baby girl |
Awwwwww!!! RosaLee! She's beautiful! I'm sooo stinkin' happy for you! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. What a blessing! So happy for you two.
ReplyDelete