Saturday, May 25, 2013

Team Johnson

This weekend Ryan and I got the opportunity to go to Badger Creek and participate in a "Married Couples Retreat." It was through the BYU-I, I am grateful for the opportunity. It was A LOT of fun and an excellent learning opportunity. It was an overnight gig so EmmaLee stayed at her grandparents.

Friday:
Basically a group of about 10 couples all went down to Badger Creek together. Once we got there we were assigned our separate cabins. We all ate dinner and got to know each other. There were a lot of different personalities and fun couples. 
We were given the opportunity to talk with a motivational speaker and we learned a lot about different problem solving skills we can utilize as a married couple and talked about worries or concerns... It's a relief to find out that not everyone's marriage is perfect. Sometimes it seems like we are the only one's that are flawed. From the outside everyone seems to have the perfect marriage, they are perfect people, and the perfect life. Ryan and I have a great marriage-- better than it's ever been, actually -- but it is far from perfect. And it's nice to know that others have their struggles, too. Despite what it may seem. 

We also talked about in-laws (dun, dun, DUNNN) and dealing with the insecurities or differences you may have with them and ways to deal with it...which is something we BOTH needed to hear. I mean, don't get me wrong. I love my in-laws, especially my brothers in law. Ryan loves my family as well. But our families are so extremely different (if not completely opposite)  from each other  so it's been hard for us to get acclimated to each others family completely. It was so good to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't feel like 100% part of the family when visiting the in-laws. Phew! ;)

That night I barely slept a wink. I have the WORST case of baby separation anxiety ever. I woke up every half hour or so thinking about how Emma is and if she's doing okay. (Turns out she had a blast with her aunts and grandma, slept GREAT and probably didn't even notice I was gone!)

Saturday:
So I woke up exhausted and turns out it was quite a physically taxing day. 
We did a lot of physical activities that required major team work. We did a ropes course; we had to climb up super high as a team, it was called the "Dangling Duo." You really relied on your spouse to make it to the top together. It was terrifying but Ryan kept me going and safe.
We did a lot of other courses that required good communication and trust between spouses and basically Ryan and I found out we make a GREAT team. We completed everything in record time and beat quite a few records. Basically, we're awesome. :) We went on a hike and had alone couple time. We sat in some long grass when we got to the top and looked at the beautiful scenery together. 
The whole thing really taught us both a lot, we met a lot of fun people, but most importantly it united us as a team and brought us closer. I love my team mate. :)


1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I'm so glad you guys got to go to this. I'm super jealous. And I'm so glad you realize that every ( EVERY !) relationship has it's struggles. You guys are fantastic! I hope you remember the things you learned about and talked about as a couple, forever! <3

    ReplyDelete