A while back Ryan and I were sitting on the grass in our backyard on a Sunday evening. I had just had AddiLyn and she was laying on a blanket beside us while EmmaLee ran around like a wild woman. We were discussing our beliefs and things we question. Ryan is pretty stalwart in the gospel and his belief is solid. I feel like a can always turn to him with my questions and concerns.
This particular day we were talking about our testimonies, not only about the things we believe most strongly but the things we are kind of unsure about.
So I want to share with you, briefly, using bullet points what I believe. I'll try not to sound preachy. I just feel it's a big part of who I am and so why not share? There are two things I will fiercely defend and stand firm against any opposition.
Number 1: I have a firm testimony that Jesus Christ is our Savior. When I was about 11 years old I gained that testimony. I remember watching the film The Lamb of God for the first time. Once it was over I hurried to my room so no one would see that I was crying. I knelt down and prayed about how sorry I was for ever being mean to anyone and adding to the Saviors pain. I feel like I kind of started seeing Him as the big brother I never had, who would always take care of me and that developed into a solid belief that He is our Savior and He loves me (and you, everyone!) so much.
He is the cornerstone of my faith.
Number 2: I know the Book of Mormon is true. I feel a strong confirmation of its truth, especially at the end when everything is said and done, every time without fail.
Which confirms my belief that Joseph Smith was a prophet that was chosen by God to bring His words back to this earth.
So those are 2 things that I can say I am 100% confident in.
Then there are things that I believe but worry about sometimes.
For example, one thing I believe but I was wary about is the plan of salvation. It sounds right and I do believe it but I feel like I mostly believe it because the question "what if it's not?" Is too horrible to think about or face.
But here's the catch.
I absolutely know Jesus Christ is our Savior. Would He really come to this earth, try to teach the world and then die for nothing? That doesn't make sense. He died so that we can live again. With our families. With Heavenly Father. So we can eternally progress.
I absolutely know Joseph Smith was a true prophet. Why would He write about an after life if it didn't exist? He wouldn't. He had way too much on the line to write lies. He essentially sacrificed everything in his life for the gospel and the things he was writing. He knew what he was doing, that the things being revealed to him, was the truth. That's proof enough for me.
The gospel concepts support each other. If you have a solid testimony in one thing in the gospel you can use that as a crutch to help solidify those weak spots, until those weak spots become strong...
Alright, alright. I'm starting to sound preachy and I'm not really into that sort of thing so I'll stop now.
That's just a little of my testimony in the gospel, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Thanks for reading my testimony. I feel so much better at writing than I do at talking. Something between my brain and my mouth has a bad connection, some sort bad wiring or something. I'm not a great speaker but I love writing.
SO. If you ever hear me bear my testimony in person and I stutter, ramble and quietly mutter through it, just know, this is what I was trying to say. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment