But I digress.
We got a new member in our family a couple of weeks ago!!!
Miss Claire Elizabeth Johnson!
Born September 17th, 2016 at 2:53 PM weighing in at 6 lbs 9 oz, 19 inches long.
Here's my quick birth story.
We got to the hospital Saturday morning around 8:30. My sweet sister in law came and stayed the night at our home just in case we needed to leave in the middle of the night. She took the girls to her home to play for the day while we were at the hospital. The girls were so excited to go hang out with Aunt Rachel and Uncle Eric that I honestly didn't worry one bit about them the whole day. Which made everything easier.
So we arrived at the hospital and I was feeling a little nervous. The memory of child birth was all coming back to me as we walked through the labor and delivery halls. So exciting but so nerve wracking all at once!
We got to our room and were introduced to our nurses. One was in training and the other was an old timer who knew anything and everything about delivering a baby. They sent me to get my gown on and I realized we hadn't taken a last pregnancy picture, so I snapped one really fast before I changed.
:)
The nurse who was training was the one who started my IV, and got everything going. She was so nervous at first that it made me nervous too. But as soon as her nerves settled so did mine and we quickly became good friends.
I asked for the epidural right away because the anesthesiologist was headed to surgery soon and didn't know when he'd get back. I didn't want to risk going through labor without it... I'M A WIMP. I know, ok? I know.
But hey, I didn't feel any contractions at all with this birth. I almost feel like I cheated a little bit. Being induced and then getting an epidural before the contractions even start. Is that even allowed? Maybe not for some people but let me tell ya, for me it was GREAT!!! I could still move and feel my legs but couldn't feel any pain. After everything was all hooked up and the contractions were coming in steady I took a nap. Ryan ended up sleeping longer than I did so I called my mom and chatted for a couple hours.
Around 1:30 PM I could start feeling the pressure from the contractions so I knew they were really doing something. They checked me and I was at a 5. I told them once I hit a 5 I usually give birth within the hour. I got the whole "Yeah, okay sweetie, we'll see how it goes." With a little pat on the head. The nurses never believe me when I say that. But sure enough, around 2:15 I start feeling the need to push. So I send Ryan out to get the nurses and the one thats training comes to check me and says I'm at an 8. So I told her to stick around because it was going to happen fast. So she mosies on out to get the lady who's training her and they come back in 5 minutes. The older nurse checked me and started yelling "She's a 10! Get the table! CALL THE DOCTOR!! Don't push!"
So I'm laying there, shaking, trying not to push, but really feeling the need to. The nurse in training got a good lecture from the older nurse about believing the mother when she says its almost time and taking their gut feeling seriously as they set everything up.
So the doctor runs in and within about 3 pushes, they showed me the most wrinkly, adorable grumpy looking baby ever. She came out with so much to say, she was not happy about being forced out of there and she sure gave everyone an earful. But as soon as they set her on my chest she calmed right down and just stared up at me and Ryan. We both sat there and bawled and laughed and cried some more. I couldn't hold back the tears. The joy and pride that filled my heart staring at this tiny little girl that Heavenly Father had sent me, I felt so blessed and loved. Another beautiful healthy little girl!
We took about an hour to decide on her name. I had a list of names and we decided to wait until we saw what she looked like to make the final decision. Between Claire, Alice, Hazel, Penelope and Eleanor we decided she looked most like a little Claire.
It was love at first sight. The moments of first holding and staring at your new baby are so heavenly. I feel like that is the closest you will ever get to Heaven while living on this earth. Holding a sweet new spirit fresh from Heaven; you can just feel the presence and existence of something greater than just this mortal existence.
And then there's the reunion from Heaven. The girls walked in the next morning and rushed to the side of the bed, beaming while they ooohed and ahhhed. They crawled up and got in bed with me and both took turns holding/kissing/squeezing her. My tear ducts were exhausted after all that.




















No comments:
Post a Comment